Monday, April 20, 2020

So much for peace and quiet

Well this was a helluva weekend. I am not sure what to say about it, all of a sudden the pandemic takes a back seat. They say this was the largest 'mass shooting' event in Canadian history, not an historic event you really want to be part of.

All of the Atlantic provinces are small, none of them much larger in population than a small city. We are less than a million here, mostly rural or living in small towns. Also, this is probably one of the oldest European settlements in North America, being one of the more easterly locations and all. So old rural settlements being what they are, everybody knows everybody, one way or another. It's just one big small town.

I knew nothing about what was going on when I took Hapi for her morning walk. But in the middle of it I got a text from the young student living next door to me, E, who asked if I wanted some turnips. We carried on a text conversation from there, this that and the other thing. I went to buy eggs from a local farm. Just as I got home she texted that maybe I shouldn't take Hapi out again, but just stay home. She included a photo of the killer and his car, who was still on the loose and headed more or less in our direction.

As soon as I got home I turned on the radio. Gone was the non-stop Covid-19 reporting, even the Prime Minister's daily talk was off the local airwaves. Now it was the blow-by-blow police chase with warnings to stay home, go hide in the basement if necessary. E texted me that a cop get shot in front of her boyfriend's mom's house. Very shortly after that the radio reported that the man had been caught. There were multiple victims but the RCMP would not be talking about it until 6pm.

I went on the internet, and sure enough, there were already reports in the UK and the USA about what was happening in our little province, a lot of speculation and precious little hard facts. The CBC said they would only report what they could verify was actually true, but there was plenty of speculation swirling around.

So this morning they are reporting at least 17 dead, including one RCMP officer and the killer himself, in a broad swath over half the province. What a horrific tragedy!

As far as the pandemic is concerned, many provinces are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, the numbers of positive tests and dead are starting to flatten or diminish. Our province is still peaking, although not as badly as some others. Like some other provinces, half or more of the dying are in nursing homes, pointing out the glaring need for reform in how we care for elders. A lot of holes in the fabric of our culture are coming to light in the glare of the pandemic.

But a mass shooting is unfathomable. Perhaps it points to yet another hole in the fabric, I don't know, too soon to tell. But it surely adds to the already big burden of shock and grief around here.

3 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I was so enraged on this horrific episode yesterday.

Another so-called "nice guy" - a violent male - a misogynist - believing that his woman belonged to him and if she didn't agree he went off and killed her and another 15 for good measure to show how angry and powerful he was.

Far too many femicides of this ilk in the world.

I am sickened.

XO
WWW

Rain Trueax said...

I read about the shooting this morning when I got to the newspapers online. Horrible. Another angry man at his own life and then wants to ruin other people's. Rage seems really growing right now-- but this sort of thing has been ongoing for too long.

ElizabethAnn said...

Hi Rain, it is indeed horrible, and yes, for too long. I don't have an answer or any idea of a solution.

WWW, right now what I feel is incredible sadness, on behalf of the victims and their families and friends. Maybe I should feel rage at the man at heart of this act, but I don't. He lost it and resigned from humanity, the rest of us will try to heal the gaping wound he left behind.