Friday, April 17, 2020

Not a good time

Hapi gave me a good scare last night. She was fine all day, we did a long walk in the morning and a short walk in the late afternoon and then around about suppertime I saw that her rear end was a bit of a mess. Lately she has started straining to poop. I tried to clean her up. I don't know if I made matters worse or she was upset with my interference, at any rate she went into her dog house and wouldn't come out.

Later in the evening she wanted to go into the basement which is her usual routine after supper, but just before my bedtime I tried to get her to come upstairs and go outside for one last pee. She just lay there staring at the wall. I went back upstairs, poured myself a drink and browsed my favourite malamute website looking for advice.

This morning I coaxed her outside but she returned to the basement after relieving herself. It is a cold but sunny day, she normally wouldn't come inside again until evening. Now I am watching her closely. Is she really sick or just a little sick?

On the one hand I want to call the vet, and on the other hand I want to let her be for awhile. But it's Friday, if I don't call the vet today my next chance won't be until Monday. The malamute website said that mals want to stay in control at the end of life and as much as possible we should let them be. Don't call the vet unless it's really necessary, and they will let you know when that is.

Last night when she wouldn't come upstairs my mind was running through worst case scenarios, it was not pleasant. This is not a good time to lose her, as if any time is a good time.

After a bit of a lie-in this morning, Hapi was good to go. We went for a long walk on the dyke and Harvest Moon Trail in a cold wind and she trotted along happily as if nothing had happened.


2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I have lived this so my heart is with you.

But like I was told, better a week early than a day late.

I don't know how that applies to you but I kind of lived that scene too.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

It was a low point WWW, but she seems her former self now. Probably just a 'moment', but a definitely a harbinger. I hear you about a week early, fortunately we're not there yet.