Tuesday, April 7, 2020

To test or not to test


My illness may be Covid-19. Turns out I may have been exposed 2-3 weeks ago, I don't know that for sure but it does explain a few things if I was. I had a phone appointment with my doctor and she said that while there is no longer a requirement for having travelled or been in close contact with someone who has travelled in order to get tested, there is still a requirement for having a fever greater than 38C and a cough. Since I don't have either symptom right now I probably could not get tested on my own, but as my doctor she could insist on me getting tested.

I said that I would rather not get tested. The reason is, if I test positive then I can't walk my dog and neither could anyone else. I would prefer, for purely selfish reasons, to continue to go for walks with her. My doctor said that as long as I was practicing physical distancing and I was self-isolating as much as possible then she was okay with that. However if any of my symptoms worsen, or new ones appear, she wanted to hear from me immediately. She also wanted me to let my neighbours know so that they could check on me as needed. That's okay by me.

I made a mask, and someone else also made a mask for me. So I now have enough masks for two walks a day. They're not N95 quality by any means, but I think that wearing a mask will alert other people to be careful around me. I see a few other people around town also wearing masks. I think it is a good idea, provided one is also practicing physical distancing and not going away from home unnecessarily.

In a way, finding out that I may already have the virus is helping to lower anxiety. I don't have to worry about it any more, it's already here. That may not actually be true, but it feels true so I am going with that. Who needs anxiety.

In other news, the doctor gave me the results of my sleep study test a couple of months ago. Turns out I have severe sleep apnea, but only when I am lying on my back. I have 'positional sleep apnea'. I actually already knew that and have done my best to not sleep on my back, but apparently during the test I spent an hour on my back. I'm kind of shocked by that. I don't need a CPAP machine but the doctor thinks I should try to arrange my bed so that I don't flip onto my back while asleep.

Yesterday was my birthday. My eldest son organized a zoom call and it was great, I really enjoyed it. Then later in the day I got email birthday wishes from someone I never expected to hear from again, and that was good too. Happy birthday to me!

My friend B who was in hospital was supposed to be transferred to a nursing home, but that didn't happen. Instead they moved her to another hospital quite a ways away. She is of course miserable about that but I talked to her the other day (she has a cell phone) and tried to tell her how much the world has changed since she first went into the hospital. You would be no better off anywhere else I said. Everything is changed, you would hardly recognize this town now I told her. Doesn't make her happy to know that but what can you do.

No comments: