Saturday, April 18, 2020

Heroes and others

Without a doubt healthcare workers and personal support workers are doing heroic work, and deserve recognition for their courage and efforts.

But let us also be clear that heroes won't save us, it takes all of us doing the unsung work of physical distancing and self isolation to defeat the pandemic.

Governments support us and encourage us in that work, but governments won't save us either. It is all of us, individually and together, who will save us.

Physical distancing is complicated, it takes effort and perseverance and careful practice to carry through relentlessly. Self isolation is hard work for a fundamentally social species and hard on us physically, emotionally and spiritually. Carrying on in the face of physical, financial and emotional difficulty takes a kind of heroism in itself.

Let's keep in mind that our hard work and suffering is not in vain, it is important work.

4 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

Agreed. It's a tough time and worse for some than others. We tend to isolate anyway when in Arizona as we hadn't built up a community here yet. Living on a piece of desert makes it nice to stay in. I feel though for so many where it's a very difficult time and uncertain for the future.

ElizabethAnn said...

Rain, I am glad you are enjoying your desert life, I love the photos that you post from there. Although I miss your ranch photos too ;-)

Wisewebwoman said...

In honestly thought it would be more of a trial and am pleasantly surprised. I will be having my first outing tomorrow to a couple that are in Day 34 like myself and have scrubbed and got deliveries, etc. They are making curry and provide intelligence conversation. I am so looking forward.

I will mask and glove (of course).

I hope Hapi is doing OK.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

WWW that is so great! And Hapi is fine, more news later.