Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Malt bread

Memories of malt
It's been a week of birthdays, starting with mine and going on to a brother, a friend, a daughter-in-law and a son.

On my brother's birthday I phoned him and he mentioned that his partner had just made some malt bread remarkably similar to the malt bread our mother used to buy on weekends. I asked for the recipe and a few days later he sent me a photo of the recipe, marked up with his partner's adjustments and comments. I have all but one of the ingredients in stock, I will have to go on a bit of a hunt to find the missing ingredient, to wit, the malt for which the bread is named. Strictly speaking the bread should be baked in an empty apple juice can but it will work in any old bread pan.

Locally we have a malt house where they actually make malted barley which they then sell to craft breweries; they also sell to customers at their small brewpub (now closed). But their malt is a dry powder and the recipe calls for a liquid extract. I could probably find out the equivalency, but first I'll look for the liquid version. Apparently you can buy it at wine and beer kit stores, but in much larger quantities than I really want. And I don't even know if any of them are open for business now, it seems unlikely. My brother suggested a natural food store, I'll try that first.

I can't wait to try it out.

Later: I called the local natural food store. They didn't have malt extract but they did have barley malt syrup. Dr. Google says, 'same-same'.

No comments: