Saturday, April 25, 2020

Malt Bread II


I baked the Malt Bread last night, had a toasted slice this morning. Needs a bit more sugar, as my brother's partner had written in the margin of the recipe.

Yesterday we got two (!!) Emergency Alerts from the RCMP, warning us of another shooting incident and then telling us it was over. As it turned out there were actually 4 incidents around Halifax that they had to investigate, 3 were false alarms and the 4th ended with a couple of arrests but no injuries or deaths. But at least they seemed to have learned something from last weekend. I'll definitely put up with Emergency Alerts even if they are false alarms. Hapi's afternoon walk got postponed as a result but that's okay, for me at any rate. Hapi wasn't so happy about it.

There was a virtual vigil last night, I listened to part of it. There's only so many speeches and so much sad music that I can deal with. When I did take Hapi for her walk around the neighbourhood I wore a red bandanna face mask in honour of mourning and saw many red hearts and flags hanging from or displayed in windows. Several people hung out Nova Scotia tartan scarves by their doors.

Last week I was so happy to be well again and able to get out of the house and enjoy the beginnings of Spring, this week it's been shock, anger and grief. I don't know what next week will bring.

I've been listening to a lot of John Prine lately, sad loss to Covid-19. Here's one of my favourites:

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Impressed with the malt bread. Yes, it is almost too much to bear and the lack of police intervention from these dangerous and violent men before they commit such atrocities is a crisis.

So terribly sad. So appalling that a woman is killed every 2-1/2 days in Canada from male violence.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

It is indeed terrible and depressing. I don't know at what point the police could have intervened to prevent these murders altogether, I think this goes well beyond a policing solution. It's a huge social and cultural problem that somehow we let this kind of behaviour go by without comment until it is too late. Almost every time we don't see this coming because we are blind to the fundamental problem of masculine violence. Not that women aren't or can't be violent, but statistically this is very much a masculine problem.

The malt bread was an experiment for me, I already have ideas about how to improve it so I will probably do it again, even though I don't like it as much as my old standby, sourdough white.