Thursday, May 7, 2020

Will she ever return, no she'll never return

Window greenhouse
I feel like I have settled into some kind of terminal laziness, I am going to blame it on the weather. Endless cold drizzly rain, with the occasional partially sunny day. On those partially sunny days I think about all the things I should do and end up being overwhelmed by the list.

Taking Hapi for a walk is at the top of the list and that always gets done. Then I relax with tea and crackers and something to read. I think about the rest of the list, how much do I really need to do today and how much can I postpone until tomorrow? The 'really need to do today' part of the list looks reassuringly small so I relax some more. By evening I have a firm list for tomorrow, and since we only get one day of partial sun at a time, I will be doing those things in the rain. But that's okay, right?

As it turns out, wrong.

I light a fire to cheer me up and Hapi curls up in her doghouse resigned to no walk unless the weather clears. A cup of coffee and a cup of tea later I'm looking at that list of things I thought I could postpone until tomorrow and think, Yup, I can still postpone until tomorrow.

I read my email. Everyone is busy busy writing stories and making quilts and sweaters and baby clothes for newly arrived (or about to arrive) grandbabies.There are pictures of quilts, sweaters and baby clothes and attached files of stories which I am invited to review and comment on. In dismay I wish my email would magically disappear.

Before terminal laziness set in, I did start some seedlings and created a little greenhouse in the living room window. Almost everything sprouted and I am hoping I can get them outdoors before they outgrow their little pots. It's not looking good for that.

Back in the day when we used to have two sunny days in a row before the rain recommenced, I hauled out my brand new battery operated lawn mower and tried it out. There's a few kinks I'll have to get used to but it definitely solves the problem of being able to start the monster, and its roar is considerably less than that of its gas engine cousin. And since it can be stored in a vertical position with its handle bar folded down, it takes up far less space in the shed.

The major drawback is maneuverability due to its length and weight, and also because I can't pull it backwards as I could with the gas powered mower. This would not be such a big deal if my lawn was not all broken up by flowerbeds, bushes, trees and fenced off vegetable gardens. Not to mention all the holes Hapi has dug over the past nine years.

But at least I don't have to ask my neighbour to start my mower in these Covid-19 times.

1 comment:

Rain Trueax said...

If I had grass to mow, that'd be what I'd want as I never was able to pull the string to get the gas powered mower started. In Oregon, the sheep take care of it now. Down here it's all natural desert around us.