Monday, February 15, 2021

Winter Coatless


Hapi's fur is slowly growing in, it's about 2-3 cm (1-1.5") long now. Some of her outer coat is black so she is starting to darken along her flanks. The new fur is quite coarse compared to the old fur on her face, I suppose because the hair ends are blunt due to having been cut.


There's another old dog at the Reservoir who got shaved at the beginning of the winter, he's a Golden Retriever. With his shaved coat he looks like an oversized puppy. I saw him the other day along with three smaller dogs. Hapi and all the small dogs were wearing their store-bought winter coats, the Golden was coatless.

I said something to the owner about him being the only dog without a coat, the owner said, "We don't need no stinkin' coat!"

It was true, the Golden's fur was short but thick and he seemed pretty happy.


So I'm hoping that soon Hapi can go without too. It was warm enough this afternoon to go out coatless.


I made snowshoe trails in my backyard for Hapi to get around in the deep snow, but she doesn't use them much because they are not as hard-packed as the ones in the woods. 

We had a big dump of snow and it has stayed cold since then so the snow has stayed too. But tomorrow we are getting rain and freezing rain, and temperatures will warm up. Having the deep snow has been really nice but I think we are now headed into ice and slush. Such is a Maritime winter.

4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Hapi looks so healthy and wonderful. A real credit to your love and devotion.

Gack I hope this endless winter (made more endless by Covid) ends soon.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

We are in the midst of an ice storm now, I guess you'll be receiving it soon. It does seem endless. The upside for me is that I had an appointment with the doctor this morning which I couldn't possibly have gotten to, but now we can do phone appointments instead. Hope that lasts past Covid.

Joared said...

Glad Hapi's fur coming back. She looks pretty perky.

Oh, enjoyed the deep snows I experienced years ago with drifts over my head when I was younger -- until they turned to ice and slush. My daughter on the east coast was clobbered with an ice storm causing her power to flicker off a few minutes several times Sunday when she called. Then, in the Midwest a video of my grandson's igloo and he gave me a tour of the interior, later sledding.

ElizabethAnn said...

I experienced part of the ice storm your daughter was in, fortunately I did not lose power. Deep snow can be wonderful ! Especially if you’re a kid (at heart)!