Wednesday, November 4, 2020

We go for a walk and see a rainbow

This morning we went for a walk with a walking group. I rarely go out with them these days but they were going to the Kentville Ravine, an old favourite of mine and Hapi's.


That's me on the right, green beret and black and green jacket.

A bunch of the walkers were going really fast, a few were going really slow, and I was somewhere in the middle. At a certain point the hike went uphill rather steeply and the slow walkers decided to turn back. Hapi decided to turn back with them, even though I was forging ahead. At a certain point I realized she was not going to follow me so I turned back too. That was probably the first time I've seen her choose to go with someone else rather than me. She made the right decision.


Hapi is keeping an eye on me. And yes, that's a sprinkling of snow on the ground, first snow of the season.


The other day we had funny weather, rain and sun at the same time. So briefly we got a rainbow.

I had to clear a bunch of greens out of my garden yesterday because it was going to get too cold for them. I rather hastily dug up some arugula and romaine and plopped them in a planter box which I brought indoors after dark. The romaine is okay but the arugula is looking pretty iffy, I hope it recovers.

On one of our late afternoon walks I stopped to talk to a man who keeps a vegetable garden near the sidewalk. I always admire the garden, his veggies are huge. Anyway we chatted about tomatoes and rats (they eat his tomatoes! He thinks there's something going on that rats are eating tomatoes) and weather and such, and he gave me a big tomato. It's called a Brandywine; he said I should save the seeds to plant next year.

I cooked a big batch of chicken in red wine to use up the remains of the bottle I opened last week. I also made an apple-tomato chutney that called for wine vinegar, but I didn't have quite enough vinegar so I made up the difference with the wine and some cider vinegar. The wine was almost vinegar anyway.

Today I canned the chutney. There's a big shortage of canning supplies due to Covid, so last month I bought the last box of teeny tiny canning jars because I needed the lid rings. Or thought I did, turned out I didn't so I canned the chutney in the teeny tiny jars. I guess they'll make good gifts.

That's a lot of activity and I am exhausted. A friend who does odd jobs and such to make up her pension offered to do some stuff for me (paid of course) and at first I said I'd wait till Hapi was gone but later thought better of it so she's going to come over to assess what needs doing. My house has become a bit of a pigsty because I am putting off doing anything about it till 'after Hapi'. Hapi has other plans.

4 comments:

Joared said...

Hapi clearly recognizes her limits as we all have to learn about ourselves, especially as they change with aging.

ElizabethAnn said...

Yes she seems pretty good at recognizing and accepting her limits. I on the other hand am having a tough time with acceptance.

Wisewebwoman said...

Isn't it amazing how animals teach us? Their intelligence and self knowledge blows me away.

Lovely pics.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

WWW, I agree. We think our species is the pinnacle of intelligence, but in so many ways that is just wrong.