Saturday, November 21, 2020

Second round, nobody learns

Gaspereau Canal, 2017

On our walk yesterday along the Gaspereau Canal I was briefly distracted talking to another dog walker and Hapi slipped away down a steep bank into the water. I knew she'd never get out on her own and asked the dog walker to stay for a few minutes to help me get her out. He was very kind, said not to rush, he was in no hurry to go anywhere. Fortunately he was wearing high rubber boots and was able to get right into the water to grab Hapi's collar and guide her out of the water. Once again we dragged/pushed her up the bank. This time the man was doing the pushing so it went a lot faster and Hapi was less traumatized by the experience than the last time. Almost as if it was a normal part of a walk. Damn dog.

Hapi in the canal, when she could still get out on her own

At every step of the way the man asked permission to touch her, he was very gentle. His wife held their own dog away from the scene since it was an over-eager six-month old retriever pup.

Saw the homeopath this week, came away feeling uplifted and hopeful, a far cry from how my GP makes me feel. Homeopathy may be scientific bunkum but if it makes me feel better, however briefly, then I will keep it up for as long as I can afford it. There's more to healthcare than so-called evidence-based medicine.

Covid is rising in a second wave across the country and has breached the bounds of the Atlantic Bubble. Premier McNeil is once again vocally annoyed at careless spreaders, the city is being put on stricter conditions. Not exactly lockdown, but close. So far no positive cases in my health region, but we are close enough to commute to the city that it's just a matter of time. A friend is planning an in-person trip to Costco next week and I've been watching the daily listings of exposure points on CBC. Some of them are awfully close to the Costco store. Personally, I think I would give it a pass.

I watched the daily Covid briefing with McNeil and his chief medical officer Dr Strang. They do a good cop/bad cop act: Strang is the reasonable good cop explaining what is going on and why, NcNeil is the bad cop glowering and looking threatening over Strang's shoulder. McNeil has already turned in his resignation from politics so he has no worries about being re-elected. Going out on a high, I'd say.

I don't think any of us will forget his mantra: Stay the Blazes Home!

3 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

The tough part is we can't all stay home. For those who do, with deliveries, it can be emotionally devastating. I just hope the vaccine. works

ElizabethAnn said...

That’s true Rain and I hope so too. McNeil just meant don’t go out unless you have to, he’s not happy with people out partying. Staying home is not easy on any level, emotionally or otherwise. Cynically though, if you open bars and restaurants, of course people are going to go. Just what exactly do politicians think people should be doing in a bar?

Wisewebwoman said...

Our mantra is Hold Fast from our minister of health.

But same as you, cases are crawling in and isolation is not being adhered to. I think it's a lack of grasp of how easily transmitted it is between say spouses with one on rotation work.

Glad your homeo is working with you. I had a brilliant one in Toronto.

XO
WWW