Saturday, September 10, 2022

Beginnings, endings and inbetweens

Students are back and my neighbourhood is surprisingly quiet. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. What, did they all mature over the summer? I saw one guy walking up the street with a bong, and later a couple of guys carrying 12-packs of … water! Maybe they all gave up booze? I don't know. I am enjoying the peace, for however long it lasts.

The dry sunny weather continues on and on. I've never had to water my garden in September before. We have water restrictions right now so it is a good thing I have a rain barrel. The water restrictions are not due to lack of water but rather a broken part in the reservoir that needs to be replaced, but is caught up in supply chain issues with no ETA.

I started a Tai Chi class. I really am hoping this is a level of activity I can tolerate. My Fitbit tells me that the first class hardly raised my heartrate at all, a good sign. But the following two days I've been pretty much confined to home due to dizziness, not a good sign. The instructor of the class is really good, plus he has volunteer helpers—more experienced students—to help guide us. There's one woman in the class who I am pretty sure has dementia, she sticks pretty close to her husband and only vaguely follows the instructions. But nobody says anything about that, the class is very inclusive. I don't have to pay for the class until I've completed two sessions, to know whether it suits me or not. At this point the jury is out. I really enjoyed it, but spending two days after virtually bedridden is a little disconcerting.

Shortly after I got out of my Tai Chi class I saw the news that the Queen had died. It feels almost like a death in the family. I know that some people disapprove of the Monarchy but I for one do not. She has been a source of stability for a very long time. When I was three years old I went with all my extended family to see her when she visited Toronto back in the day. Since our house was closest to the parade route, the family gathered there afterward. I remember the gathering but not so much the Princess (she wasn't Queen yet), just that it was a momentous occasion.

I liked living in a country with a Queen, I like that Canada is part of a larger community, the British Commonwealth. I realize that the Commonwealth is just the old British Empire with a new name and that the British Empire was a great colonial power that did a lot of damage in many parts of the world including here, damage that people are still having to deal with. But being part of a larger whole, for better or for worse, and having a long history, also for better or for worse, seems to me a good thing in the long haul. And I'd rather be part of the British Commonwealth than the Russian Empire.

Anyway, I miss Queen Elizabeth II, the end of an era that lasted almost my whole life. I think she did a very good job of it. It will be strange to have a King rather than a Queen, but I hope he does well too. I read something about him, how he was in the habit of espousing weird ideas that people made fun of him for. You, know, organic food, the environment, that sort of thing. Now he looks a little prescient.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

While admiring the queen and her fortitude and kindness, I have grave reservations about the monarchy itself and the long history of appalling colonialism. Being Irish particularly throws a different light on it and still having the powder keg problem of the severed six counties in the north.

I hope you get back to yourself Annie, you've had a long go of ill health much like myself and this aging malarkey has many challenges.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

Hi WWW, I understand your reservations. Colonialism and the notion that one country can impose it's rule on another or crack down violently on one's own people for ideas or beliefs contrary to the governing body's ideas and beliefs are horribly outdated but still going on. Kings and Queens of the past have definitely played roles in that. I believe in Truth and Reconciliation, I believe change without abolishment is possible under the right circumstances. The Queen made a point of not being seen to meddle or influence. That is a standard a modern monarchy should maintain. I think having a head of state who is almost strictly for show with no political stance (my vocabulary is getting restricted, I know there's a word for this but I can't dredge it up) is a good thing. In the US they have a President who performs that function (or maybe it is his wife, the First Lady?) but is also very much a political actor, here we keep those functions separate. I would question the roles of the Canadian Senate and the British House of Lords long before I would question the Monarchy as it exists today.