Monday, May 3, 2021

Waiting at a crossroad


I went for my Covid test Thursday afternoon, the place was full of young soldiers. My town now has two testing sites, I went to the new one. At the door I was greeted by a young soldier who handed me a mask, but I was already wearing two masks.

He hesitated, saying, "Oh, I don't know what to do."

I whipped off one of my masks and took the one he was offering. The next soldier I met was positioned to monitor the line-up and send individuals on to the next station. I asked him where he was from, he said he was from the city.

"Thanks for helping out," I said.

I got my Covid test in the nick of time, they are no longer testing asymptomatic people until the lab has processed all the symptomatic tests. I guess one could lie about symptoms if one were desperate for the test, but then one would have to self-isolate until one got a negative result. So far I've had three tests and each tester has had a different technique. The first test is so far the winner for low discomfort quick efficiency, who knows whether it was as effective. The second test was the most uncomfortable, the third test took the longest time, the tester inserted the swab and then just let go of it and left it while she counted the seconds to herself. Then she twisted it a few times and withdrew it.

On Friday I felt a lot better so I think it really is just a cold. I am not expecting to get the results back nearly as quickly as before, maybe by Monday. They didn't tell me I had to self-isolate but it's probably the prudent thing. Who wants to catch a cold in these times? I certainly didn't.

It rained all day. The weather radar for the entire province was down and out so it was impossible to predict when it would stop, certainly the weather reports are completely unreliable now (Covid related). The garage owner said he'd drop off my car at the end of the day and took my payment over the phone. Ouch. Oh well, the car hasn't been in for repairs in a long time so I guess it averages out.

If it weren't for the fatigue and dizziness I would feel a lot better about the future. On the one hand I feel like I am at a crossroads with a lot of opportunities opening up for me to do new things, make new choices. On the other I am too damn tired to even clean up the mess of my past/current life. I am chipping away at the edges. Gave away some of Hapi's stuff, broke down a bunch of cardboard boxes for recycling, mowed the lawn for the first time this year. I've swept the floor a couple of times but it needs a lot more than a bit of sweeping.

I have a preliminary appointment with a chronic conditions clinic coming up and I almost had an appointment with a neurologist. Unfortunately, with the car in for brake repair and me with a (presumptive) cold, I had to pass it up.

"Don't worry, you're at the top of the list now, you'll get the next one," said the woman calling me.

I didn't really want to drive into the city in the midst of lockdown anyway.

3 comments:

Joared said...

Hope you’re continuing to feel better and have your test results soon.

Wisewebwoman said...

All the best with your tests and I do hope you feel better soon. You have a lot going on, not least of which is grief.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

Test result was negative, it really was just a cold and I am mostly recovered from that now. They’ve cleared the test backlog and have acquired new equipment so they can go back to testing anyone who wants it.