Wednesday, December 7, 2022

John


I got a phone call yesterday from a stranger telling me that a dear friend John had died a month ago. I almost didn't answer the call because I didn't recognize the number, but he was legitimate. It was shocking and extremely sad, I spent the rest of the day in tears.

John lived on the other side of the country, where I used to live. I met him a couple of decades ago, warmed up to him gradually. He was the kind of person who was a little bit in your face, but not in an aggressive way, he meant well. I got used to that and eventually appreciated it very much. When I moved across the country he was about the only person aside from family that I kept in touch with by phone, and our calls usually lasted over two hours. We talked about everything, we laughed a lot. Ostensibly we were talking about my financial affairs—he was my financial advisor—but rarely did that part of the conversation last for more than 15 minutes. And it went right over my head. I trusted him though and was glad that he knew what he was talking about, because I sure didn't.

The few times I went back out west to visit, he was on my list to check in with. We'd meet in his office and later go for lunch. He was into ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement) and he made a new arrangement for his office waiting area every week. Sometimes he'd explain the meaning of it to me, but I'm afraid that went over my head as well. They were beautiful though.

The last time I talked to him was a few weeks before he died. I knew he had cancer, I knew it had metastasized, but he was so upbeat and optimistic that I thought he had more time. During the past summer when he knew his cancer had metastasized, he went with a friend to visit their family in England, something he often did. I gather it was a very good visit. He was also an extreme skier and hiker. He always took his dog on his hikes, sometimes his daughter would accompany him. He loved the west coast.

The man who called me yesterday gave me his daughter's email address, with her permission. I wrote to her today to tell her what a wonderful man I thought he was. She just had a baby the week after he died, how sad that John never met his grandchild! And how sad that she must deal with grief and joy at the same time. Understandably, she has not planned any celebration of life (nobody has funerals these days!).

It is so distressing to get such news and have nobody to talk to about it. I tried phoning a couple of people but no one was home, and none of them would have known who John was and how much he meant to me. I do hope his daughter is coping.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

What a lovely tribute Annie, and yes, it's hard to be alone in grief, not have shares memories with someone of the departed one. It makes processing the loss so much harder.

Lovely that you had such a connection with him.

The price of our aging Annie is being pushed more often than we'd like into the only holder of these memories.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

WWW, it’s true, but it’s my main reason for keeping this blog going, to record stuff. Not out to change anyone’s opinion or enlighten anybody, just witnessing.