Thursday, July 7, 2022

I've been told

Crow family on the roof

Quite depressed now. This month I am way sicker than I was same month last year (July 2021), which was worse than the same month the previous year (July 2020). Not a good trend. Between pandemic isolation and now isolation due to ongoing illness, I feel like my once very satisfying social life is now dead in the water and I lack the ability or energy to try to revive it. 

I went out for coffee yesterday and after about an hour I was reduced to gibberish. I was trying to respond to a topic we were discussing and was at a loss for words, which very quickly degenerated to not even knowing what I wanted to say or even what the topic was in the first place. All I could say at the time was, I'm done, I need to go home. Fortunately my friend understood my illness and agreed that it was time to go home. She's all that is left, I get so tired of explaining to people that even though I look fine I am not fine at all, but she gets it and we don't have to waste our time time talking about it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Had an interesting experience on Canada Day. I went for a 30 minute walk with an 88 year old friend and her golden retriever M at the Reservoir. M knows me well and is always happy to see me. About 20 minutes in M suddenly went kind of crazy leaping up into my face. She'd just been in the pond so she was one big wet dog and I quickly became one small wet woman. M's owner tried to call her off, I tried to ward her off using my hands and saying sternly "Off!". Finally M's owner leashed M because she just wouldn't stop and we walked back to her car that way. On the drive to my house M continued her strenuous efforts to get into my face, I would say she was quite frantic. However, as soon as I got out of the car she settled right down as if nothing had happened. Afterward, M's owner and I discussed what had happened, since this was very unusual behaviour for M.

We have sometimes joked that M must have been a nurse in a previous life, she reacts quickly when she thinks someone is ill. Shortly after this incident, maybe a couple of hours or so, I crashed big time, I could hardly move or even think. I was already quite sick, starting maybe a couple of weeks before this incident (I say "starting" loosely, more like "intensifying"); that 30 minute walk put me over the edge. I've been instructed in pacing, but since symptoms of "post exertional malaise" (PEM) don't kick in until hours or even days after, it's hard to know when enough is enough. But I think M just told me: 20 minutes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We are having such nice weather and about all I am capable of is sitting in my recliner gazing out the window. I leave the back door open so I can hear the birds in my back yard: a couple of song sparrows, several cardinal couples, a bunch of starlings (big batch of new ones this year), and of course the crow family (see photo above). One whiney teenager and two very patient parents. The whiney teenager is the sole survivor of three, I had to pick up and dispose of the bodies of its siblings. One got trapped in my woodshed and couldn't get out, the other got sick, returned to the nest and died.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step one: rails and inverters for solar panels

Finally they are starting to install the solar panels on my roof. It is a long drawn out process involving multiple inspections by the electric power company before proceeding to the next step. I will be lucky if it is all completed by mid-August, so not a lot of solar energy will be generated this year. 


At this point the mounting rails and inverters have been installed, the next step is for an electrician to hook up the inverters to my electric panel. Then an inspection, then on to the next step, hopefully the installation of the panels themselves.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My painter has completed most of the exterior wall painting, he is now working on staining the front porch and the back deck. Then it will be the exposed concrete basement and the trellis work in the front of the house. I have purchased a welded wire fence and T-rail posts for along the north side of my property, the painter has said he can help install that. Bye bye money. I don't particularly enjoy having workers around even if they are as unobtrusive as they can be. I look forward to very rainy days when none of them can come.

3 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I am so sorry to hear this Annie, a very rough time for you. I commiserate as I'm not exactly bouncing around myself. Far from it in fact.

It really annoys me when people tell me how good I look even though I am far from good and more at death's door some days. I suppose it has something to with "they think I'm faking it."

Interesting about the dog. I believe they sense something seriously wrong.

XO
WWW

Joared said...

That dog really did seem to be trying to give you a message. Very interesting.
Knowing your limits sounds like a real challenge but keep trying.

I frustrate with having to hire others to do some things I could and would prefer doing myself but simply am no longer able to do so. Having to cut back my exterior watering to only once a week for 8 mins. on each sprinkler zone is playing havoc with greenery survival. Thinking about a drip system but learned that can require frequent repairs as critters chew up connections as they seek water and I'm no longer able to stay on top of all of that.

How people look on the outside and how they actually feel can be two quite different things.

ElizabethAnn said...

WWW, I think the people who think we look well are trying to encourage us, or at the very least deny the chronic illnesses of old age for fear it might be catching. With all the hype around healthy aging, those of us who aren’t living up to that standard must be encouraged to get with the program. God knows I’d like to be satisfying them but my belief in getting well is seriously eroded.

Joared, we are so on the same page! I am fiercely independent, and also rather poor, so hiring others to do the work I was once capable of is irksome. The climate here is not so dry but I have a large tree that sucks up every drop of water that hits my backyard, so I’m having to water to counteract that. Which only encourages the tree to suck up even more, endless cycle. Good point about the drip system, I have thought about that but now I won’t. When we can’t do anything else, we still garden…