Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Don't complain camp in the rain...


Long time, no write!


Been busy though…


I did go on the kayak-camping trip last week, Monday through Friday. The first day was solid rain and then we had three days of sun and cloud, with rain on the final day of packing up and leaving. I have to say the rain made things quite difficult. 

Shelter from the rain
We were extremely grateful that our first campsite included a shelter, so we decided not to pitch tents but sleep in the shelter. That was okay although I didn't sleep very well. The next two days we had to move to two more campsites, which involved a lot of packing up, unpacking, setting up tents and taking them down again. That part of the whole trip was utterly exhausting, at least for me. I think the other two fared better: they shared a tent and were probably in better shape than I was for that sort of thing.

On our last day, one person was packed up and ready to leave before the other two, I was ready but stayed behind to help the third person into her sprayskirt. They get caught on the life jacket behind you and it often takes a helping hand to get it unstuck. She left and I tried to leave but got stuck between a rock and the shore. Rocking the kayak did not free it but did end up letting water into the cockpit. Then I got out to guide the kayak away from the rock, only to get two boots full of water. So by the time I left the shore I was soaked and sitting in a puddle of water inside the kayak.

The other two were waiting for me offshore but they had their backs to me and did not see my futile efforts to get launched. One of them asked me what I was doing and I told her. She was sympathetic, but the other woman laughed.

I guess I don't like being laughed at when I am in difficulty. I said, "I know it sounds funny, but it doesn't feel funny."

We paddled back to our starting point and I kept my distance from the others because I was seething. 






There were incredible moments of joy and beauty during the trip. One of our campsites was up a river and the trip there and back was absolutely magical. At that campsite, every time I looked at the river I was completely in awe of it, completely entranced.


But overall it was utterly exhausting, not from the kayaking but from the camping. A friend said she would have an awful time sleeping on the ground but for me that wasn't it. It was the packing, unpacking, packing again and erecting and dismantling of the tent and tarps over and over again. It absolutely killed my back. Also the fact that the other two women helped each other but I was largely left to fend for myself. I guess three is an awkward number, unless you have a spacious three-person tent.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My town has recently embarked on an ambitious plan to cut carbon emissions by assisting homeowners to get climate-friendly upgrades. I contacted the plan organizers and they got me started on a project to install solar panels on my house. In the past I have resisted this because it is costly and the breakeven point on upfront costs is about 15 years from now, when I may very likely be dead. However, the town's plan involves offsetting the costs through home equity. In theory I can install enough solar panels to cover all my electrical needs without spending a dime of personal money.

Of course, like all such programs, it involves a lot of paperwork, talking to contractors, getting quotes, and who knows what else. The upside is meeting and talking to interesting people who tell you interesting things, the dowside is consuming a heck of a lot of time and mental energy. The plan spokesperson thinks I can be all done by Christmas, but at least one of the contractors I spoke to is saying probably next summer for completion. That sounds more realistic. There are a lot of unresolved issues and questions, but I guess it's kind of exciting.

Yesterday and today I am digging up potatoes, so something complicated but somewhat exciting to think about is welcome. As I told one friend, digging potatoes is as backbreaking as my previous week of camping, and given how cheap potatoes are to purchase, I wonder why I bother to grow them.

Lots to think about…

4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I don't think I'd be sharing time with those two again, quite selfish. I'm glad your survived but would reconsider the camping aspect too, our bones do get weaker as we age and you could do everlasting damage.

Good for you (and the town!) on the solars.

XO
WWW

ElizabethAnn said...

WWW, they are very old friends, and we’ve been doing this trip for many years. One of them I shall definitely remain friends with, the other I will probably limit the kinds of activities I will share with. Camping is like travelling, you want to be able to rely on your companion(s). I have at least 6 months to determine my future involvement. Kayaking yes, camping not so much. My son commented that even he has trouble with the amount of work involved in a weekend camping trip with friends.

Joared said...

Sounds very inconsiderate to say the least that the campers didn't do a better job of looking out for each other like you. The solar opportunity sounds interesting and would be attractive to me as you describe. Not cost effective for me either unless some special offers since I would likely not live long enough to reap the savings. I just would like solar panels or some other system for my home that wasn't on my roof but don't think they offer such an alternative system -- yet.

ElizabethAnn said...

Joared, I’ve seen a couple of solar panel arrays not on home roofs. One is on the ground in someone’s backyard—they have the space for it—and the other is on a purpose-built carport roof. Serves two functions: solar energy and vehicle shelter. Supposedly solar panels on a house roof protect the roof from the elements, making it last longer. But I’ve heard bad things about wind turbines on roofs, a whole lot of shaking going on.