Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Dental Expedition

The Eagle Tree, with one eagle (there are two who use this tree)

Today was a heck of a day.

Had to go to the dentist, for emergency dental work. Last night a tooth broke, a chunk of it ended up in my supper. In the morning I called my dentist but the earliest she could see me was a month from now so her receptionist suggested I call the emergency clinic. I did and they said, Be here in an hour. So I went.

They were really nice. Expensive but nice. Took an x-ray, showed it to me on the computer and suggested 3 options: do nothing, get a filling, or get a cap. I opted for the filling, although I probably should have gone for the cap. Anyway I was led away to another room where the youngish dentist and an assistant did the job. But first they had to fill me up with local anesthetic, it took multiple shots before I was numb enough for them to proceed. They were absolutely all about killing the pain.

It all went fast and then I got the bill which was hefty. But I was dizzy so I sat there for awhile before driving home. I still have to get the cap, or a root canal or something, so that's why I think I should have gone for the cap in the first place. Oh well. I have an appointment with my regular dentist to see what's next.

I went home and took Hapi for her walk. It was very cold and windy last night so I made her sleep indoors and she couldn't wait to get out in the morning. She had a long nap in her doghouse while I went to the dentist. It was still very cold but the wind had died and it was a sunny blue-sky day. I can't remember the last time we had a sunny blue-sky day.

So, a month or so ago somebody put a little artificial tree in a planter by the Reservoir parking lot. One of the dog walkers got the idea of putting an ornament with her dog's name on the tree. A few more followed. I bought an ornament and put Hapi's name on it but kept forgetting to take it with me. Today I did remember, but I forgot to photograph it on the tree. Anyway, now she's immortalized on the Reservoir Dog Tree. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it. [Since I forgot to take a picture, the photo above is of the Reservoir Eagle Tree, from a previous day.]

Tomorrow is supposed to be our first major snow storm of the season, there were a couple of things I had to get done before then so after the walk and some lunch I got out the ladder and climbed up to take down a roof gutter. It is not a sturdy gutter and snow sliding off the roof dislodges it, so it's better to take it down before that happens. Not a pleasant job, especially in the cold when one is dizzy. One of the girls next door saw me on the ladder and offered to hold the ladder for me, I accepted. I couldn't dismantle the gutter so she ended up switching places and doing it for me while I held the ladder. She enquired about what arrangements I had made for snow shovelling and said if I needed help just call.

I asked her whether she was going home for Christmas and she said, No, the five of them had decided to spend Christmas together so that they didn't have to do quarantine after the holidays. I am secretly relieved that they are doing that.

I listened to the premier and his chief medical officer on the radio this afternoon. Since we've had a rise in cases they've been doing talks daily. I have to say, yet again, how great they've been. I kind of look forward to those talks and will miss them when they're done. The first doses of vaccine were administered in the city today, to healthcare workers working in the city. There's only the one freezer for the vaccine and it's in the city, so they are only doing a few healthcare workers this year.

I think it's going to be a while before it's my turn, I'm fairly far down on the priority list (healthcare workers, long term care residents, over 80s, over 75s, over 70s, …) There's a few active cases in my healthcare region, notably a local poultry processing plant got shut down and a couple of schools. But no one has been hospitalized and no cases in any long term care homes. The emergency dental clinic is the furthest I have been from home in the past 6 weeks, I only shop for groceries and what little social life I have is at the Reservoir. I feel relatively insulated.

All that freezing for the dental work has finally worn off and I feel crappy. But I'm glad I don't have a big hole in my tooth anymore.

3 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Wow, you packed a lot into your life in the last wee while. I am surprised you would tackle the roof issue on a ladder - what is the golden rule? No climbing ladders over 65? Much as we want to. Dizziness is one of the big risks.

Glad your tooth got sorted. We're still fighting for free dental care for the elderly. It's essential.

XO
WWW

Joared said...

Having dealt with a broken tooth I periodically have to get glued back in place, the possibility of a root canal before a crown, I can empathize with your experience. Too many people fall off ladders, even a head bump from other accidents leave people with cognitive issues and no longer safe to live independently at home. Even the rehab therapy I provided can't "fix it". Do take care!

ElizabethAnn said...

I understand people having concerns about climbing ladders. A blanket prohibition though is an extreme reaction. I built a small house by myself; that involved working on a roof and with ladders, I know what the risks are. I am very careful with ladders, very cautious about using them. I make sure the ladder is firmly grounded before climbing, ideally I have a second person standing by. Sometimes that is not possible so I exercise even more caution in those circumstances. I don't reach, I descend and move the ladder closer. I keep three of four hands and feet on the ladder or some other stable structure at all times. But getting told not to climb ladders at all is a bit extreme. It's a tool, and many tools carry risks.

Of all the events described in this post, the episode of dentistry was by far the most frightening for me. Our family dentist when I was a child did not believe in anesthesia for children, I underwent several dental procedures without the benefit of. In those days the dentist's chair was upright like a barber's chair, and the dentist's assistant stood by with a bottle of smelling salts to revive me when I fainted. Let's just say that after well over half a century I still feel the terror, no matter how nice the dentist is. I was exceedingly grateful for the excessive amount of local anesthetic that was injected, but nevertheless my blood pressure and heart rate were through the roof. Given the choice I'd far rather climb a ladder than have a tooth drilled.