Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Covid weather predictions


The other day we went for an evening walk on the dyke, I took some photos. A lot of students are back, Main Street is getting busy. A couple of American girls refused to wear masks at the grocery store so the owner called the cops and they were fined and made to leave. Considering that the police office is right across the street from the grocery store, it was kind of a foolish thing to do.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Today I thought we were finally going to get a good rain, or that was what the weather forecast said. I thought it was going to be a good rainy day to get some indoor stuff done. I didn't water the garden because we were supposed to get a thorough downpour, and I had a whole lot of tomatoes to can (since there is no room for them in the freezer), so it was going to be a canning day. Canning tomatoes is hot messy work, not something I really like to do on a hot sunny day.


So guess what, no rain, just a hot sunny day. And Hapi had wet all her bedding, between being incontinent and wanting to sleep in the basement after a soak in the pond. So there was laundry to do. Once I started prepping the tomatoes for canning I realized it was not going to rain after all. In fact, it was a hotter day than it had been in a while. There was no turning back, it was too late to just pack it in and do it another day. So I canned and did laundry and was royally pissed off at the weatherman for being so wrong.


As soon as the canning was done I turned off the stove, grabbed the dog and my bathing suit and hurried over to the Reservoir for a swim. There was hardly anyone there, I guess everyone stayed home waiting for the rain. Swimming on my back I watched the clouds. The wind had picked up quite a bit and there were heavy clouds on the horizon blowing by. The sun was still out though, it stayed sunny until I finished swimming and drove home. I had hardly hung my bathing suit and towel out on the line to dry when the sky got quite dark. I guess it was going to rain after all.

Sure enough, just as I was sitting down for supper (tomatoes, beet greens, zucchini and rice) it got very dark and and thundery and the rain poured down. Hapi was scared of the thunder, she kept so close to me that I was tripping over her. It really only lasted about half an hour but she was at my feet for a lot longer than that.


I got 5 quarts of tomatoes canned and 2 freezer bags full of grated zucchini done. All Hapi's bedding got washed and dried, although she is down in the basement now getting it all wet and dirty again. My two rain barrels are full to overflowing. It was so hot today that less than an hour after the downpour the road was dry. But the temperature has dropped by almost 10C and supposedly it's going to stay cool for a while. Says the weatherman who predicted the rainy day.


2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Well done you in spite of the weatherman! A hugely productive day and my heart lifts every time I see Hapi. I just want to cuddle her.

XO
WWW

Rain Trueax said...

I used to can a lot. It's a rewarding activity.