Monday, July 20, 2020

Knitting in a heat wave

My Needlework group decided to try one more time to meet. This time Our Fearless Leader invited all of us who wanted to let her know and also if any of us could host a small group, say 5-6 needleworkers. She would draw names from a hat and tell us who was going where. Her email was screwed up so not everybody got all the correct information, all I knew was that I was going to a host who lives close by and there was at least one other group meeting somewhere else.

We met this afternoon when it was extremely hot—it was 30C all afternoon and into the evening—and it was supposed to be outdoors but we ended up going inside because of the heat. It was a large livingroom with well-spaced chairs and I guess we're all feeling a little more relaxed about the situation since there have been very few new cases in the province and none for a couple of months in our county. Or none that we know of. Our host said she didn't mind having us in her house this summer but was worried about the fall. She is treating the summer like a kind of vacation, in the fall the students will be back and the risk of infection much higher.

I think the smaller group works very well. At our peak before the pandemic we often had as many as a couple dozen people and you could only really talk to whoever you sat down next to. But in a group of 5-6 you can have a shared conversation and that was nice. Our host's cat also attended. I'm allergic to cats but as long as they don't try to sit in my lap I'm okay. This cat is fine, nice personality, not stand-offish but not overly friendly either.

I tried to get Hapi to go into the basement before I left but she was sleeping and didn't want to get up. I left her there, half in the shade half in the sun. I gave myself a mental deadline of being back by 3 to get her out of the sun, but didn't make it back till 4. She had already moved into the shade and was happy to go into the basement. Sometimes she can climb the basement stairs on her own, sometimes she can't. I let her try first and then move in with the towel sling.

No comments: